Eagle's Eye

Filed under Eagle Life, Showcase

GCHS Forensics Team Advances in KHSSL State Competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pictured Left to Right: Hattie Dunn, Olivia Gregory, Carrie Cavitt, Noah Saxon, Kendall Tubbs, Naima Bhutta, Michael Black, Jamie LeMay, Aidan Walker, Zacharie Lamb, and Coach Aaron West.

The GCHS Forensics team saw some success at the KHSSL state competition that was held in Lexington Kentucky in March.

They had four out of our ten students advance to quarterfinals, with Naima Bhutta advancing to semifinals in storytelling.

All three entries for Impromptu Speaking made it into quarterfinals: Zacharie Lamb, Kendall Tubbs, and Michael Black.

Head Coach Aaron West said “I was really excited to see that we had improved from last year, where we only had one student advance out of the preliminary rounds.”

“The state tournament is the most difficult tournament of the year,” he continued,  “and for our young team to compete as well as they did is encouraging to see. We are already looking forward to further improvements next year, as we aren’t graduating any of our current members, and are looking to improve our recruiting of new members.”

A few stats: there were 38 schools represented, 190 judges, and 822 entries spread across 470 students. This was the 100th year the Kentucky High School Speech League has been in existence (the 2020 tournament is the 100th tournament, however).