Mayfield’s leaders in health and safety host Youth Leadership

On Sept. 9, chosen students from the senior classes at Graves County High School and Mayfield High School took a field trip to various health sites within the city.

Once a month, Graves County and Mayfield’s youth leadership venture into the community in order to learn about different disciplines.

“Youth Leadership allows students to learn about current and ongoing issues in our community and to develop leadership potential and a vested interest in the community,” said advisor Kaye Horn.

With 16 students selected from Graves County and 12 from Mayfield, they went through a rigorous interview process during the summer to be selected for this organization.

“It lays the framework for relationships to be formed between students who, soon enough, will be working together for the best for this community,” Horn continued.

Students listened to a speaker from the Mayfield Fire and EMS team about their efforts during the December tornado, as well as Air Evac on careers in emergency flight. They also spoked with representatives from the health department on mental health. 

Senior at GCHS Emily Dunaway said, “It gave me an insight on how the first responders responded during the tornado and how they helped the citizens of the community.”

“10 years from now, the students will still remember what they did with the community,” said advisor Ms. Horn.

Youth Leadership will continue to take trips to numerous locations throughout Mayfield, other cities in the region, and to Frankfort to visit our state’s capitol later in the school year.