Positive Phone Imprisonment

Mackenzie Bell

PHONE PARKING ONLY– English teacher Guier Millikan has implemented the new policy for phones in the classroom.

Along with the new schedules changes and an influx of Freshmen, some Graves County High School teachers have decided to take a stand against a specific distraction in the classroom — cell  phones.

The use of phones in school has drastically expanded, what with being used in educational games, research, and even participating in a class-wide message system called Remind. However, how many students actually use his or her phone for proper classroom work? This issue was such a problem in years past that in the Eagles’ Handbook, the discipline matrix states that phones will be sent directly to the office on the first offense. No one likes his or her property to be taken away so teachers have created an interesting and creative idea to eliminate the problem: “Phone Lockers.”

When each student arrives to class, they have a designated spot in the phone locker, usually a wall shoe-holder, that they place their phone in. The temptation of checking his phone is eliminated and therefore the threat of the office claiming ownership is as well. Teachers who have implemented the policy have found success so far. English teacher Guier Millikan explained why she likes the change. “It’s made a huge difference, because now [phones are] not even an issue. It’s how I take attendance, and it makes it a lot easier.”