• November 16Next ACT - December 9th

The student news site of Graves County High School

Eagle's Eye

The Penny-wise process

Book and movie review

Many amazing movies have started off as books, such as: Harry Potter, The outsiders, The Percy Jackson series, The divergent series etc. There are countless productions that started off as words on pages. One such book-to-movie transition is the horror novel/film, Stephen Kings “IT”.  

The 1,138-paged book created a phobia for clowns in readers and horror fanatics around the world. The story revolves around a group of kids with troublesome lives and curious tendencies who end up holding the lives of the small town of Derry, Maine in their middle school hands while still worrying about girls and school and out-running the school bully, Henery Bowers and his gang of juvenile delinquents.  The main villain in the book is the terrifying Pennywise, the dancing clown who can not only scare the life out of you, literately, IT can also shape-shift into your greatest fears, making it impossible to survive and encounter with him. As the “Loser’s Club” takes on this horrifying monster, the adults remain completely oblivious to what’s happening in the sewers, leaving the fate of the town to them. The ending to this book is so twisted and unexpected that you almost have to re-read the entire thing to make sure what you just absorbed was right and you’re not just crazy from looking into penny wises deadlights. 

The book was brought to life in a movie released in 1990, and starred Tim Curry as Pennywise. The movie, naturally, left out some parts in the book and was not as terrifying as the book. However, the second adaption of the story was released this year In October 2017, which’s amazing graphics and slight altercations made the world of Stephen King jump off the pages and right onto the big screen. The film made fans of the book and the original movie go crazy, though some were skeptical if it could live up to IT’s name. Fans were definitely not disappointed as the movie had a box office of 677.9 million dollars. The new adaption of IT only showed the first half of the story which mainly focuses on the characters childhood and how they dealt with IT, whereas the second half of the story focuses on the characters adult lives and how IT affected them. The second adaption is set to release September 9, 2019. So far, the new movie was a great representation of the book, however in my opinion you can never really beat the book.