GC students gear up for holiday giving

Maranda Branum

SHOEBOX JOY– Featured are the shoeboxes that the gifts will be packed away in for Operation Christmas Chid.

With the holidays rapidly approaching, support groups around the globe are coming together to help every child get the holiday joy they deserve.

One such group is Operation Christmas Child (OCC), a program funded by Samaritan’s Purse. Every year, OCC packs and distributes hundreds of shoeboxes to children across the world, with help from churches, schools, and businesses.

Graves County High School Family Consumer Science teachers Whitney Clark and Cyndee Carman organize local participation in Operation Christmas Child through FCCLA. “I started participating in this program when I was younger in my local church, and choose to introduce it to my students when I became a teacher. It’s a great way to involve students and also teach them the true meaning of Christmas giving,” says Clark.

This year, the two teachers have chosen to sponsor little girls ages two to four and little boys ages five to nine. Featured are the do’s and don’ts of donations.

Along with FCCLA, the Eagles Eye staff will be having a box in the common during break and lunches if you aren’t able to get your donation to a FCCLA member.

DO’s & DON’T’s of OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD

DO’s:                                        

–    Include items that children will love, such as dolls, toy trucks, kazoos, jump ropes, and toys that light up with extra batteries.

–    Include hygiene items such as washcloths, mild bar soap (in plastic), and toothbrushes.

–    Include school supplies such as pens, pencils, paper pads, and stamp & ink sets.

–    – Include accessories such as t-shirts, ball caps, sunglasses, and toy jewelry.

DON’T’s:

–    Include war-related items such as toy guns, knives, and military figurines.

– Include chocolate or food.

– Out-of-date hard candy (hard candy is acceptable)

– Liquids or lotions

– Medications or vitamins

–  Include breakable items such as snow globes, glass containers, and aerosol      ca