Veterans honored at high school ceremony

Hannah Templeton

LOCAL HONOREE– WWII veteran and POW Athel McClure was honored by Lt. Col. Jason Caldwell (left) at today’s Veterans Day ceremony. Caldwell is pictured above holding JROTC’s new guidon. The cedar pole was handmade by McClure, and it contains seven marbles near the top which represent the seven Army values.

Today Graves County High School celebrated Veterans Day with an afternoon ceremony which involved the JROTC and fine arts students. The fine arts students performed our national anthem, a medley of all the military branches songs, and several other songs in tribute to our veterans.

Several JROTC cadets took part in the Veterans Day assembly. The colors were presented to the assembly by Junior Makayla Puckett,  Seniors Brianna Ball, Brittany Berkley, and Alba Elias. Senior Gabby Seymour led the pledge of allegiance.

JROTC instructor Lt. Col. Jason Caldwell told the story behind the Graves County organization’s guidon flag. It gives meaning and identification to our JROTC squad. The cedar pole that holds the flag was  was made by 91-year-old Athel McClure. McClure, a Graves County resident and World War II veteran and POW, is the sole survivor of F Company, 379th Infantry. The company fell in an attempt to overtake a German-occupied bunker in France.

Veterans Day is important to many students at Graves County High School. Senior Taylor Massey stated, “Veterans Day is very important to me because it gives appreciation to the sacrifices my dad and my grandpa made for our country and me.”  Every student who has family members in the service was given a chance to stand and be recognized during each military branch’s song.

November 11th will continue to represent the love people have for our country and the importance of the sacrifices people have made.