New school year brings new school parking regulations

The 2016-2017 school year has begun and we are seeing new changes take action. One change at GC is the parking situation for students. This year for students to park in the school parking lot they must adhere to a drug and alcohol tests, they must drive safely within school grounds, and hold a valid driving license. The school will be handing out parking passes that must be visible in the car parked in the parking lot.

“It is a policy that has been in place, it wasn’t enforced very well, which is why we kinda got away from it,” freshmen principal Mark Mallory explained. “There are a lot of students that are not following the drug policy and they are not registering their cars or anything. We would have those random screenings and it was only the athletes and none of the drivers because a good chunk of those weren’t turning the forms in. So really what we are doing is enforcing the policy that was already in place.”

Completing the process is simple. “All it takes in for students to fill out two forms, one is a drug information release and the other is information about the vehicle. We will be doing a better job this year patrolling the parking lot for tags,” Mallory explained. “Students [not following] the parking tag rule is considered improper parking on the discipline matrix. The first time is a documented warning, and if you continue to not sign up then there will be further discipline issues.” Students who have 6 or more tardies may lose their parking privilege at the school.