Latest shooting rocks Nevada middle school

A  Sparks Middle School student in Nevada shot and wounded two students and killed one teacher on October 21,2013 before shooting and killing himself in the latest U.S school shooting.

Local police of the town said that the teacher who was killed, died protecting students. The teacher, Michael Landsberry, was a beloved teacher who was popular in the school.

According to an interview conducted by USA Today, a student named Kyle Nacum, 13, said that he was in the outside basketball court at the time of the shooting.     “We heard a pop, like a loud pop, and everybody was screaming and the teacher came to investigate,” Kyle said. “I thought it was a firecracker at first, but the student was pointing a gun at the teacher. After the teacher told him to put it down, and the student fired a shot … at the teacher and the teacher fell and everybody ran away.”

After the shooting, many of Landsberry’s students shared stories of him or posted silly pictures on various social networking sites. Students recalled how Landsberry loved Batman so much that it became a nickname for him. The math teacher told his students at the beginning of the year that he had one rule, “I have one classroom rule and it is very simple: ‘Thou Shall Not Annoy Mr. L,”

Governor Brian Sandoval released a statement about the situation. “I was deeply saddened to learn of the horrific shooting at Sparks Middle School this morning. My administration is receiving regular updates and the Nevada Highway Patrol is assisting at the scene. Kathleen and I extend our thoughts and prayers to the victims and those affected by these tragic events.”