Graves implements NTI program to much success

On Thursday and Friday of this week, Graves County Schools implemented their new Non-Traditional Instruction, or NTI, program.

Since gaining approval from the state, district administrators now have the option to implement NTI days when there is dangerous weather, or under other circumstances that cause students to miss scheduled school days.

The NTI program was created to prevent gaps in children’s education, as well as prevent makeup days added on at the end of the year, when unscheduled breaks in instruction occur. Teachers were to assign work to students for each day so students would not fall behind in their studies. This week, Graves County had two NTI Days due to the 6-8 inches of snow that accumulated within the past three days. Originally, the Graves County School Board was going to implement their first NTI day January 26, 2016 when school would be out for a special election.

The prevailing opinion of the program so far is one of relief from students, parents, and staff. While there is plenty of work for students to do, many students are glad that they don’t have to make it up.

Senior Samantha Clymer stated, “A couple days that high school students are able to work from home gives us different ways to learn and even prepares us for college, because we are not relying fully on teachers.”

While students have been working at home they have been heavily encouraged to contact their teachers with any questions concerning their work, and teachers have initiated contact, as well. On Wednesday, the first NTI day, teachers worked from school. During that time, they made an effort to make contact with every family enrolled in the district to ensure understanding of the program.

Claire Thomas, junior at GCHS, loves the program. “I have to brag on the teachers. They have contacted me in many ways and multiple times over these NTI days and make sure everyone understands what to do. They have done an excellent job in making themselves available. I have also heard this from parents of elementary school kids, as well.”

Tara Fowler, GCHS math teacher, has also enjoyed the communication with her students today. “NTI is a wonderful alternative to extending the school year. Students are still able to communicate with their teachers and complete their work – on their own time. Teachers are able to plan ahead and be readily available for students if necessary. It is such a neat idea, and I am glad to be a part of it! I have spoken with students and their parents, and even checked in on my students via Remind Chat” (an app developed for safe teacher/student communication outside the classroom). Teachers have the option of asking students to turn in work online, through email, or on paper upon returning to school.

Parents, too, seem to appreciate the alternative to a typical snow day. Eric Walker, father of two GC students, Wyatt Walker, a junior at GCHS and Aidan Walker, a 6th grader at Graves Central Elementary stated, “We like it. As parents, that is. The kids are being productive on an otherwise unproductive day. And the teachers have been super about checking in and following up to see if any help is needed, with emails and texts. It’s a great plan and I’m glad Graves County is doing this.”

Of course, with any new initiative, there are pros and cons. GCHS Principal Matthew Madding offers a balanced view of the program. “There are definitely advantages and disadvantages to the NTI days. It is nice to be able to have the opportunity to count these days that would otherwise have to be made up at the end of the year. It also provides a great opportunity to make contacts with families of our students.”

However time in the classroom is important. Madding explained, “In my opinion, the biggest disadvantage is that it is a day where no new instruction can be delivered. Teachers only have a finite amount of time with their students, and every day is precious. From what I have seen so far, the NTI days have been positive. As long as they are used in moderation, I believe they will continue to be successful.”