Water leak causes damage, disruption

Matt Dillon

CLEAN-UP UNDERWAY– GCSD Superintendent Kim Harrison surveys the damage as custodians and students work to empty rooms after this morning’s pipe burst.

A major water leak this morning at GCHS caused damage and disruption to classes when a pipe burst in room B14 and flooded half of the hallway.

The waxed linoleum floor took on the qualities of a mirage when the rusted water pipe burst and spilled gallons of water down through the ceiling in the classroom, flooding the floor, and spewing into the hallway and adjacent classrooms.District Maintenance Director John Oldham was on the scene early this morning to oversee cleanup of the water.  Oldham says that the burst pipe was already contracted to be fixed this summer. As to exactly what the water damage will cost is yet to be seen.

There was no class being held in the room at the source of the leak at the time it occurred.

LEAK CONTINUES--  A custodian works to repair the damaged pipe that caused this morning's flood, as water continues to fall.
Matt Dillon
LEAK CONTINUES– A custodian works to repair the damaged pipe that caused this morning’s flood, as water continues to fall.
WADING IN THE WATER-- Freshman Academy Principal Scott Bradley makes his way down the hall shortly after a pip burst in room B14.
Katie Elder
WADING IN THE WATER– Freshman Academy Principal Scott Bradley makes his way down the hall shortly after a pipe burst in room B14.