GC students plunge in to help Special Olympics

FREEZIN+FOR+A+REASON+--+Graves+County+senior+Logan+Dunevant+and+and+sophomore+Justis+Duncan+participate+in+this+years+annual+Polar+Plunge.+%0APictured+above+from+left+to+right%3A+Kevin+Neal+and+daughter%2C+Jenna+Neal%3B+Justis+Duncan%3B+Logan+Dunevant%3B+%26+Leslie+Thorn.+

Photo Courtsey of Tabitha Neal

FREEZIN’ FOR A REASON — Graves County senior Logan Dunevant and and sophomore Justis Duncan participate in this years annual Polar Plunge. Pictured above from left to right: Kevin Neal and daughter, Jenna Neal; Justis Duncan; Logan Dunevant; & Leslie Thorn.

With temperatures outdoors in the chilling low twenties and the water looking just as awful to hundreds of participants ready to jump in, the annual Polar Plunge began its’ kick off on February 15th, one of the biggest Special Olympics fundraisers of the year.

The Polar Plunge is celebrating its’ 16th year in Kentucky as of 2014, with the program nearly raising $6 million for Special Olympic Kentucky programs. Participants were definitely “Freezin’ for a Reason.”

One team, dubbed My Brother’s Keeper, of Vanzora Baptist Church in Benton, Kentucky, has been partaking in the Polar Plunge forĀ  3 years. Their captain is Leslie Thorn. The team started after hearing a song during a presentation called Hold Us Together by Matt Maher. Afterwords, they dubbed themselves My Brother’s Keeper.

Graves County High senior Logan Dunevant and sophomore Justis Duncan are apart of My Brother’s Keeper. Dunevant and Duncan took the challenge for the Special Olympics. “They dove in with only slight hesitation, with ice in the water around them. This is their third year,”Thorn commented.

Click here to listen to Hold Us Together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvnVjLX_hRE