Small kitchen fire at Graves County High School results in evacuation


The Fire Department responded to a small fire at Graves County High School Wednesday morning.

Graves County High School experienced a small kitchen fire Wednesday morning.

All students and faculty were safely evacuated from the building and the fire was extinguished.  Students and faculty were allowed re-entrance at approximately 11:30 am per the fire chief’s approval.

“I cannot brag enough on our students and how they handled themselves,” said Principal Alison Gregory.

“They displayed so much grace and patience during that process,” Gregory continued. “Our staff was incredibly organized and just handled everything well.”

The fire was a result of a malfunctioning fryer in the cafeteria kitchen. The kitchen suffered minimal damage.

Students and faculty were able to resume instruction for 4th block following the evacuation.