• August 23Next ACT - October 28

The student news site of Graves County High School

Eagle's Eye

Filed under Sports

Boys’ Basketball Goes To State

Last night, our Graves County boys’ basketball team played against cross town rivals Mayfield for the regional championship. Graves has not been in the regional championships since the 2012-2013 season. Both teams played exceptionally well, by proving that both of them would have been a good team to represent our region in the state tournament. At the start of the game, Graves started off strong with a 20 point lead. By the half, Mayfield closed the gap a little but Graves still had the upper hand with a 10 point lead. By the fourth quarter, Mayfield had no chance of winning being down 16 points, with a couple of minutes left of the championship game. At this point, Graves was getting comfortable and started making simple mistakes, and not playing the way they did earlier in the game. With 39 seconds left in the game, Mayfield tied the game proving they were not finished. Brady Wetherington was fouled with seconds to go, shooting 2 free points, with this Wetherington tied the game up. Thanks to Wetherington, the game was tied resulting in Graves and Mayfield going into overtime. During overtime, Mayfield dug themselves a hole and fouled one too many times resulting in Graves County High School being the region 1 champions.

Wednesday, March 15th, Graves County will play in the state tournament at Lexington, Kentucky. Senior center, Chris Vogt, expresses how excited and blessed he is to play at Rupp arena; a dream he has been dreaming of since he was a child. “I am super excited about playing at Rupp, being a University of Kentucky fan it has always been my dream to play in the same arena as amazing well-known basketball players have played.” The team will be playing against Bowling Green High School. Bowling Green is number 2 in the state, their record is 32-2 and they have the best eighth in the nation. Senior, Logan Elliot believes that this game will be very evenly matched. Overall, the team is very excited and optimistic for this game. The boys are focusing and practicing their hardest to take home a win and make Graves proud.