Youth Leadership explore local environmental procedures during monthly field trip

The 21-22 Youth Leadership

Friday, November 19th, GCHS’s youth leadership took a trip to learn about the local environment.

Once a month,  Graves County and Mayfield’s youth leadership take a field trip out into the community in order to learn about different disciplines.

“Youth Leadership allows students to learn about current and ongoing issues in our community and to develop leadership potential and a vested interest in the community,” said advisor Kaye Horn. “It also lays the framework for relationships to be formed between students who, soon enough, will be working together for the best for this community.”

For the November trip, students were taken to the West Kentucky Landfill, MEWS Substation, MEWS Water Sewage Treatment Plant, and to learn about biological stations at the CFSB community room.

Emily Oliver said, “I enjoyed getting to learn about how our community leaders control where the rainwater in our area goes.”

The students were introduced to many different eco-friendly concepts.

“It was so cool to get to see everything and how it works,” said Ellie Youngblood. “I would’ve never thought that much went into the functioning of rainwater runoff.”

December’s field trip will allow the students to have a look into the way community resources works.