Student murals line the walls of the GCHS Library

Art 3 and 4 classes are updating the library with original murals designed and painted by students.

“I got an email from Mrs. Archer saying we want to beautify the library a little bit with some murals,” said Art teacher Mrs. Glowicki.

Our school librarian, Mrs. Archer, envisions the library as a community center in which students can showcase their talent and hard work.

As you enter the library, prepare to be greeted with a mural of a bookshelf that wraps around the circulation desk. The spines of books read popular titles like Charlottes Web, Twilight, and 1984.

In the far left corner, you’ll notice a mural depicting a trio of cats lounging on a stack of cat titles.

“The group in the corner is doing “Easter egg” cat painting,” explains Glowicki. “They have stacks of books and then their group member’s cats.”

Senior Hannah Pattillo points to the mural: “To the left, we have the orange cat, Romeo, with Smalls [grey cat] on top, and Pixie to the right.”

On the other side, a mural illustrates a cloud of blue dust bursting from an open book.

“We took very popular books and took symbols from each book.” Kasi Natividad tells us.

“My favorite [symbol] would be the crown. It’s from The Queen by Victoria Aveyard,” Lindsay Dover added.