Ireland Harvey exceeds recruitment goal for JROTC

Photo+courtesy+of+Ireland+Harvey+

Photo courtesy of Ireland Harvey

GCHS senior Ireland Harvey recruited over 75 new cadets for JROTC this school year.

At the first practice held this year, only 11 new Cadets showed up. Ireland encouraged these students to invite their friends and by the next practice, 21 students made their appearance. By the end of a few months, 54 more students had enrolled in this program.

“Our goal was 50 new cadets,” said Lieutenant Colonel Jason Caldwell, “Ireland went way above and beyond for our program and the cadets and families affiliated.”

JROTC is a program meant to teach students leadership skills and how to be overall better citizens.

Ireland is very passionate about what she does and wishes the same for each student who enters into JROTC. Her excitement for JROTC is what brought encouragement to the new faces who have joined this year.

“This program really is the best thing that has happened to me,” Harvey said “aside from the fact that it looks amazing on resumes, you grow friendships and a family that will be by your side.”

Ireland plans on enlisting after graduation but mentioned,  “enrolling in JROTC does not mean you are required to go into the military. ”

If you are interested in this program, contact Ireland Harvey or Colonel Caldwell.