Social media and self-esteem: to be beautiful is to be yourself

People around the world express how they feel on social media. They explained that the things said and how things are set as standards for the “perfect” mentality and body.

Around GCHS, many students’ self-esteem is affected by social media. Every day, students express that they may feel discouraged and less confident due to the issues, body images, and standards set by “big time” social media users.

“Sometimes it’s hard to scroll through Instagram and see somebody and not think ‘Oh I would love to be that tall’ or ‘Oh I would love to have that body,” stated sophomore Shelby Leonard.

According to The Today Show’s website, “Studies have shown that social media affects woman’s bodies by 22.98% and men by 21.97% in mental and physical health. Everything else surveyed showed fewer percents.”

Sophomore Abby Nichols stated, “I’ve just gotten to the point where I really only use social media to contact friends and family or to show my friends and family what I’ve been up to. I see no point in letting your personal life be shown to the world for there to be negative things said when it’s your own business.”

According to helpguide.com, “multiple studies have found a strong link between heavy social media and an increased risk of depression, anxiety, loneliness, & self-harm. Social media may promote negative experiences such as inadequacy about your life and appearance.”

Many people will look online and see that they may have been excluded from events, and can give them thoughts of which they may not be good enough or not as “popular” as the people that were invited to the event. Over 66% of young adults studied showed that they felt more depressed than the people that use social media less.

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson