Eagle's Eye

From Eagles to Racers, the transition

The thought of college for a lot of high school students is stressful. The unknown tends to intimidate the weary mind, and this is why I interviewed a Murray State University freshman Dylan Rolfingsmeier to gain insight on the transition from high school to college.

Most people want to know if college classes in high school are anything compared to actual college classes. Rolfingsmeier replied, “No, because I think in high school teachers will help you more than a professor would.” 

According to Rolfingsmeier, if you want to be successful in college then you need to be able to solve more problems on your own instead of going to your teacher for everything.

But what is different about college? Is it the same hustle and bustle of high school? Rolfingsmeier replied, “It somewhat is, but in high school, I didn’t have as much time doing homework as I do in college.”

However, Roflingsmeier biggest struggle was “Learning how to schedule my time, but you get the hang of it after a while. I have to manage my time more and figure out how to schedule meetings with my professors and when to study.”

Regarding the social aspect, Rolfingsmeier explained that many college students depend heavily on each other in classes because most of the time your fellow classmates are more likely to help you solve a problem than your professor is.

Rolfingsmeier continued, “In college, I became more social. I had to talk to more people now than I did in high school because I don’t know as many people in college now.”