GCHS students celebrate national arts in education

The first full school week of September has brought a change to the average morning routine for Graves County High School students. Normally before school, students stand by to socialize with friends, or work on class assignments, but for this week, students are entertained by performances fellow students involved in the fine arts program.

No, these students are not performing a flash mob; they are celebrating National Arts in Education Week, which has been formally declared by the United States House of Representatives in 2010. This week-long event is held annually on the full week after the second Sunday of September. Since this week was declared, Graves County teachers have had their students prepare performances specifically for this event.

This year, as usual, performances will be seen from the visual artists, chamber choir, musical theatre, chamber orchestra, and jazz band. A new addition has been added to the Graves County celebration of Arts in Education Week, marking Graves County history, as the school’s first ever show choir, named Platinum Harmony, will have its debut performance.

Jennifer Tilford, Graves County High School’s Fine Arts and Human Services’ academy principal explains GC’s vision of the occasion. “Arts in Education Week is a national celebration every year, on the same week. We try every year to use that time to perform for students and really instill a love for the arts into them, and we try to make sure that all students are exposed to the talents of our students and see that they appreciate that the arts in education are definitely a huge part of our success here. And definitely at Graves County High School, it is a huge part of our culture. To take time to recognize that it is National Arts in Education Week is extremely important to the Fine Arts Academy.”