GCHS Golfer Josh Roy on breaking stereotypes

Josh Roy (right) with teammate Alex Jackson (left).

The American high school jock is the one of the most stereotypical cliches of all time.

Movies and television often contribute to the preconceived opinion that athletes are dumb, privileged jerks.

“That’s just not fair,” says GCHS golfer, Josh Roy. The senior is one of the best golfers in the region, so he is frequently discussed both on and off the course.

When called a jock, Roy feels that people either look up to jocks or despise them immediately just because they play a sport. Roy sympathizes that it is “just the natural way of people” to judge with no prior information.

Making friends is a struggle in high school, considering most cliques are made in elementary or middle school, and from Roy’s perspective, this is true.

“If you play a sport, it seems that your teammates are your only friends.”

Roy believes this is true for almost all cliques, even if they don’t play sports, because they all share common interests.

However, Roy says that this isn’t the case for him, as his friend group consists of gamers, musicians, and athletes.

Josh Roy is just like any other student. Roy, like most teenagers, also enjoys scrolling through Instagram to find the newest, funniest memes for him and his friends to enjoy. He gets up every morning to go to school, he does all of his work proficiently and on time; he might even be more knowledgeable than the students who write him off for being a jock.

“If you want to have a chance to be excellent on the field, you have to be excellent in class,” he explains.