Eagle's Eye

Filed under Eagle Life, Showcase

GC Hosts Agriculture Safety Day

Thursday, September 13th the GCHS Agriculture department hosted an informational Agricultural Safety day in the back parking lot of the school.

According to Lane Howell, FFA President, the GCHS Agriculture Department has been preparing for over a year to host this event.

Throughout the day, students had the opportunity to go outside to the several stations to learn about the variety of problems farmers could encounter throughout their day. Presentations went over safety procedures regarding farm equipment, large animals, electricity, CPR, and more.

“The overall goal for the day, ” Howell explained, “is to introduce and embed the student body with a variety of safety protocols if they ever were to encounter a serious situation where it’s needed.”

Senior, Abby Sadler explains, “Many of the students in this program had to be at the school by 6am to set up all the booths for this event. We’ve been planning this for the past year just to make sure we had an idea of how the day was going to play out. Not only did we have to prepare for this but we helped set up for the speech and mock crash later that day.”

The day concluded with several guest speakers, including Miss Kentucky, and a staged mock car crash, accompanied by the Mayfield police and fire department and the dispatch of the EVAC helicopter.