Eagle's Eye

Filed under Eagle Life, Showcase

Walkout Wednesday

GCHS Students Arriona Curtis and Christa Crittendon

In response to the deadly mass shooting that killed 17 last month on the grounds of Stoneman Douglas High, students across the country have been planning marches and school walkouts. These walkouts are to demonstrate that students stand with the victims and their cry for change.

GCHS Students were given the option to participate in the protest on “Walkout Wednesday” on March 14.

Freshman, Michael Black said “The main reason I walked is because I feel like if society isn’t going to do anything, and if we don’t stand up and do something, by the time our future kids are around, there still won’t be a change.”

Many GCHS students participated in a school walkout on March 14 with sighs which said “Student voices matter,” “Marshall strong,” and some wore “March for our lives” t-shirts. Although there was fear of retaliation from the large population of gun owners, many students practiced their 1st amendment rights to protest and participated in the walk-out.

A group of students from Stoneman Douglas, including the well-known Emma Gonzales, have been urging lawmakers and congress people to stop taking NRA donations of “Bloody Money.” Not only that, but these students advocate for stricter control of semi-automatic weapons and large magazine sizes. They had asked that students sympathize with these victims and joint the “March for our lives” in state capitals and Washington DC on March 24th.