• November 16Next ACT - December 9th

The student news site of Graves County High School

Eagle's Eye

Teens and tattoos

Tattoos are a way to express yourself, they show individuality and art. A report from the Pew Research study that said about 38% of people ages from 18 to 29 have at least one tattoo. In most states you have to be 18 years of age or older to get a tattoo, but in some states, you can be younger and get a tattoo with parent/guardian consent.  

For instance, in our own state of Kentucky, written consent of the individuals parent or guardian must be given and the individual can get tattoos and various piercings at their leisure.  However, some states have put strict guidelines and restrictions regarding underage tattoos, including: Delaware, Idaho, Wisconsin, etc.  

Even though some states permit teens under the age of 18 with written permission from a guardian, some people call into question whether or not this is a good idea. Teachers, future colleges, and employers look at tattoos with disapproval, though they are slowly becoming acceptable in today’s society. Teens see tattoos as a way to express themselves and define who they are. Some even use tattoos as a way give remembrance to loved ones.  

Sophomore Arieana Weilmuenster gives us her input and tells us how people usually react to her tattoo. ” I think tattoos are a great way to show people who we are. They are special and unique and give us another way to set us apart from others. My tattoo is a tribute to my family and my twin, because they match, and I think that it’s really special because of the meaning. People aren’t really approving of my tattoo at first, but once I explain the meaning of it they usually get over it.” 

(Picture of Arieana Weilmuenster’s tattoo)