• November 16Next ACT - December 9th

The student news site of Graves County High School

Eagle's Eye

Filed under News

Active elderly community

Community involvement is a huge part of our student lives, but the older men and women of our community enjoy being involved as much as we do.

Our community contains many older people and many of them do not get enough exercise or social time. We interviewed some of the managers at Morningside of Mayfield Assisted Living to get an idea of some of the things the older people of our community enjoy.

April Crumble is the Lifestyle 360 Coordinator at Morningside. Her day consists of morning exercise with residents and outings such as movies, shopping, and lunch at some of the new restaurants in town. She also arranges activities inside the facility such as arts and crafts, afternoon games, and holiday parties.

All of these activities are offered to each resident, though some do not enjoy them, or are unable to go. Some alternatives to these activities are movie nights in the facility, rock painting or helping with paper folding for the animal shelter.

One special event that always takes place in the mayfield facility is the Veteran program for the veterans that live there. Each veteran living in the facility has a service photo on them wall of the main living room.

Some of the holiday activities include a thanksgiving dinner, trick or treating for younger children, a Christmas open house, and an Easter egg hunt.

According to Rick Flowers, “She has programs every day, 5 days a week.” These programs usually include volunteers who will sing, preach, or play music for the residents. These volunteers are family members, friends, or other community members.

April definitely has an impact on her residents. She gets to know each one personally, developing friendships with them. We could use more people like April and these residents in the community.