• November 16Next ACT - December 9th

The student news site of Graves County High School

Eagle's Eye

Gender freedom: the age of breaking boundaries

Youtuber James Charles

Youtuber James Charles

Youtuber James Charles

In the last few years the boundaries of expression have been broken down and thrown to the side. This is the case for many ways of expression; whether it be artistic, spiritual, or one’s appearance. But the one area of expression that has slowly started to become a social movement is the idea of gender and gender expression. More and more we see people step out side of the box and completely throw away the things we are taught about how we should express our gender. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing though. In fact, I’m one hundred percent for going against the social norms. Last year was a big year for breaking down gender stereotypes and boundaries. It was a huge year for men doing whatever they feel like and just not caring it it’s “girly” and this is what I’ll be focusing on in this article. 

As a male myself, I believe it takes so much courage to just say I don’t and go against the social norms. And as a male who has recently started playing around with makeup, I believe that all that has happened last year with men breaking down boundaries is for the good. You see I have always had a fascination with makeup, but I would have never acted on it if it wasn’t for seeing other men doing it.  I believe that it’s so important for us to teach the young people that there is nothing wrong with being different or being true to oneself. We need to help them learn that our diversities are what make each and every one of us beautiful. 

Like I said, last year was a huge year. One thing that happened was CoverGirl announced their first male ambassador: James Charles. This is really exciting because not only is he the first, but also he’s only seventeen. James was also one of the first people to help push the movement of men in beauty. Also, last year there was a trend of guys painting their nails — huge YouTuber’s like Connor Franta and Joey Graceffa did it. Also, the first beauty magazine geared toward men was published, and beauty ads began featuring men.

Even though all that has happened there is still more that can be done. There is still so much hatred and discrimination that needs to end. I know for sure that there are people out there not being themselves because of the hatred. They don’t want to get bully or made fun of. Don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with hiding if you aren’t in a safe place. But if you can be yourself safely there is nothing more freeing. So, to the boys out there who aren’t afraid to dress or act androgynously and embrace the femininity in them I say good good job and keep being “girly.”