GC media students attend workshop at MSU

Staff

Eagles Eye– Staffers attended MSU workshop last Friday.

On Friday, September 23rd, 2016, the Murray State Journalism and Mass Communications Department conducted the 44th High School Media Workshop in the Curris Center and Fine Arts building.

The event was attended by approximately 325 students from high schools throughout the area including Graves County, Mayfield, Murray, Calloway County, Paducah Tilghman, and several others. The workshop itself consisted of courses chosen by attending students, focusing on skills critical to print and broadcast journalism, such as writing on a deadline, evaluating credibility of sources, and using Indesign, a software commonly used to format school newspapers.

The Murray faculty judged newspaper and yearbook competition’s awards ceremony was held before the workshops began, with Fort Campbell and McCracken County tied for best yearbook, Calloway County winning numerous awards for newspaper and video, and Graves County winning for best website.

The courses were taught in three periods, and attendees were permitted to choose which classes to attend. Classes consisted of both broad subjects and specific, from learning how to properly interview someone, to learning which shots from the sidelines of a game would make or break a recording.