Social media pads student wallets

Instagram is a social media platform that was launched in October 2010. People use it for reasons from a digital photo album open to everyone to a public art portfolio. In recent months, Instagram has become used for more useful purposes; making money.

It all began when people started to link websites in their bio in order to sell items to other users. Recently, Graves County high school students have been selling many things from clothes and shoes to bath bombs and lip scrubs. Those who are saving to buy a car, or just wanting to make some extra cash are selling anything nice that is taking up room in their closet that someone else may want. Students are not only selling, but trading items for others that are new to them.

Junior Landann Brown was one of the first sellers at GCHS. ” I decided to sell stuff because my closet was overflowing and I wanted to make money to save up for a music festival this upcoming summer,” she continues, “I had the account for a while but I really only became super active on it again this past weekend.”

Success rate is high, Brown says that she has been more successful than she thought she would, “I have made a good profit and it has made me want to start selling more products like bath melts and salts and use instagram as a platform to advertise.”

Girls around the school can be spotted viewing and searching for clothing accounts, they’ll do just about anything for a good sale! Name brand items such as Nike, Under Armour, Converse, and Victoria’s Secret PINK are sold for mere dollars yet still in good condition. This is just a few in comparison to the growing variety of inventory on the clothing side of Instagram.