Freshman year: The struggle is real

Freshman year: The struggle is real

Freshman year is the most awkward year. You’ve gone from being top-dogs at the middle school to being the youngest at the high school. There will always be hardships and obstacles to jump through to pass the dreaded first year of high school. This year is different, your friends are drifting and you have all new teachers. But worst of all, you embarrass yourself… a lot.

First off, you never intend to make a fool of yourself, but it feels like you always do anyway. Freshman Seth Duncan admitted that within the first two weeks of high school he already tripped and fell in front of his entire gym class. He really hopes that this is the worst thing that will happen to him this year.

The new schedule has freshman really confused, not only is the school completely new to them, but now the classes change every other day.  Freshmen Monica Causey and Nate Meeks both made the mistake of walking into the wrong class. “We were out of school on a B day so I just assumed that the day we came back would be an A day,” Meeks said.

The class of 2020 isn’t the only freshman class that is having a hard time, sophomore Julia Nygaard reflects on her freshman year, “The most embarrassing moment of my freshman year was probably when my friend fell up the stairs. She pulled me down with her!”

Even the teachers had embarrassing moments, Mr.Gossum reflects on his past years of being a student, “Looking back now, having a mullet was probably the most embarrassing part of high school but at the time I really didn’t care.” Mrs.Miller shares that she “fell up the stairs and all my books went flying, and to make matters worse, an upperclassman kicked them back down at me”

In the end, everyone embarrasses themselves and it’s definitely not just a freshman thing, but when it happens, just laugh it off because you aren’t the only one having a crazy day.